15 June 2006

Thanks to a discussion on the Grrlgenius site about women and girls and their focus on being pretty - which leads to very unhealthy things - I have decided to start a movement in which next week will be declared "No Fat Talk Week".

So, what's the focus of the week? It's to give yourself positive self-talk. We all know about how we focus on what's wrong with ourselves...well, this week we focus on our positives! I love my muscles and I'm a smart & interesting chick! Positive! We won't mention that eating something was "bad" or that we were "good" this week because we ate all the things we're 'supposed to' or cause we went to the gym. We are to tell at least one person a day why we think they are amazing - cause they are sweet, smart, lovely - especially a young man or woman.

Let's make this a great week - if we can all focus on our other qualities, then perhaps the media will understand that we are multi-faceted and that we want more than a cute girl up on the screen or in print. I want to hear about the smart actresses, the ones who have bodies that haven't been starved.

And let's put out a shout out to those thin women who are there naturally - like my mum - who are told to feel badly about theirselves too...they don't truly have it easier (my mum was constantly asked if she was anorexic and she ate more than moi!). Let's appreciate everyone for who they are as a person. EVERYONE!

And have a great week next week...I'll be reminding you!

No comments: