08 January 2008

The tough things and wonderful things about being in India (from my trip)

These are in no particular order...

Some of the hard things:
  • Getting sick from eating something (I think it was the sugar cane) and feeling/looking like a 6-mo pregnant lady because of it (the bloating, oh, the bloating!). Luckily it went away pretty quickly.
  • Stray dogs. They are everywhere and so cute, but you know that most of them will die from being hit by something or starvation. There are just too many for any organization to ever deal with them.
  • Open sewers outside of Amritsar. Such a nasty smell. And people live by it. I know they can no longer really smell it, but I worry about the health of those people.
  • So many people.
  • Being one of the few white faces as I walk around shopping in Amritsar. Getting 'bumped' by the men even though they have plenty of room to walk by me.
  • The dust. Hack, hack! Black snot to go with it.
  • Poverty. Though I did see less of this and MUCH less begging than 10 years ago.

Some of the lovely things:

  • The henna walla - I could just go and sit down and get henna done in one of the markets in Delhi or Amritsar. And for very little money too. They are quick and do good work. Henna is a wonderful way to add some beauty into your life.
  • The shopping experience. Customer service in Delhi and Amritsar far outweighed what we have here in London and even in the States. I loved it.
  • The colours. The fabrics. Such gorgeousness in everyday wear. Even the when working on the side of the road looked much more stunning than the average American or Brit. I really hope that people don't move too much toward Western clothing as I think Indian traditional clothes are so much prettier and, quite honestly, more confortable!
  • Old buildings just everywhere. You can be walking around a regular street and there is an old temple or fort wall. The architecture is amazing.
  • The people. They are so friendly overall. And gracious.
  • My new family. Despite being a white American girl who has married into their family, they accepted me fully. It was unexpected and well received! They are wonderful!
  • 3-wheelers. I just think they are a great idea. Scary at times, but perfect for getting around.
  • 22 carat gold. The colour is so much nicer than any other type of yellow gold. I kinda wish I had gotten my wedding ring/engagement ring there...though I love my white gold too.
  • The weather while we were there. To go from the cold of London (about 9C as the high) to Delhi and Amritsar (highs in the 20s, lows around 10C), was wonderful. I loved walking around in shirt-sleeves or a light sweater!
Please note that these are from my trip experience and may not be what you or someone else would experience. And even with some of the things that felt not so lovely, I still look forward to going back again in a few years.

No comments: