07 June 2007

Finals

I'm sitting at a different desk this morning than the one I'm used to (in my office). And it's amazingly quiet. But that's the way it is when you give a final exam.

The kids are nervous, but ready to go...they are plodding away at 100 multiple choice and 10 identifications. They have two hours. I don't expect that it will take them that long. I try to get them fully ready for my test and to give them a relatively easy (but definitely) fair exam. There will be a few questions that will stump them, but most are very basic. The identifications shouldn't challenge them too much. But this all depends on if they've reviewed - and if they've done some work through the year.

Every year, when I give an exam, I remember back to the days of taking exams. In some, I felt so good - I knew my stuff. In others, like my French exams, I struggled. I much preferred to write something than to have to study for hours. Many of my friends preferred the opposite.

Do you remember how it felt just before the exam? Kids asking each other questions, raising the anxiety level of all around, even those who were decently confident. The slight panic of finding the room where you were being tested. Having the exam placed in front of you. Taking that deep breath and then beginning. Hoping that you knew it all. Knowing that you probably did not...but maybe could fake it anyway.

Exams are a lot like life for me. I hope that I can prepare for things. And I try my best sometimes...sometimes I don't cause there's something else going on. I know that some things I'll do well in, but others not so much. And when those big life events happen, I'll jump in and do what I can...

No comments: