04 June 2007

Not 'stumped' by this game!

Yesterday we had our first cricket game of the season. Both teams get to play 20 overs...and we had about 3 hours to get them all done before the boys' game began.

We arrived at the pitch at 10:15am and began to warm-up. We ran a bit, stretched and then did some tossing around of the ball. We did a little bit of fielding and then some of the bowlers went to warm up while the rest of us continued to do some fielding stuff. Happily, I was not a bowler!

We were on the pitch first with the other team batting. The other team consisted entirely of teenagers. Young teenagers. So they had youth on their side. But they were a bit intimidated by the fact that we are all adults (with one teenager on the team). And we were 'on'. In my three seasons of play, I haven't seen us look so good. We bowled reasonably well, with a few exceptions. We played did a great job of fielding. And we just looked more professional somehow. It was good! We went through all 20 overs and they had 100 for 7 (I believe).

Then it was time for us to bat. I was first batter, which is a great honor. My partner, K. is usually a great batter and we had high expectations. She unfortunately got an LBW with only a score of 3 runs. And then the next woman came on, who had never played before. But somehow we just were a scoring machine. I actually stayed on to the very end, scoring 34 runs on my own. We won, with a score of 101 for 1, after only 18 overs. Woo hoo! I played the entire game! And had my best score yet. And I got several 4s, and even better a 6. Only the second person on the team to have gotten a six! For those in the know - it was a flat six, sailing just over the boundary.

It was wonderful. A win! Sunny and hot. And I played well. What a great weekend!

No comments: