18 April 2007

Ssshhhh!

Today is the 'Day of Silence'. The Day of Silence is an annual event held to bring attention to anti-LGBT bullying, harassment and discrimination in schools. Students and teachers nationwide will observe the day in silence to echo the silence that LGBT and ally students face everyday. In it's 11th year, the Day of Silence is one of the largest student-led actions in the country. (taken from the website)

I am choosing to be as silent as I can (if I need to talk to a child in crisis then I will, of course). I am lucky. I can be fully who I am and shout it out to the world without fear. But many cannot. If they happen to be gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered, then life can be a very tough thing. So many GLBT kids have depression or anger issues due to their having to hide their sexuality. Some even feel that they have to commit suicide as they don't see how things could ever get better.

For most of us, we don't have to really think or justify our sexuality. Can you imagine if you were the one silenced?

No comments: