22 October 2007

A fast

This Sunday will be my first Karwa Chauth. What is this you ask? Well, here's a few words from the Karwa Chauth website (www.karwachauth.com).

The festival and fast of Karva Chauth is celebrated with much exuberance and fanfare. It is considered an important and auspicious day for married women. A married woman celebrates this day with great fervor and dedication, by observing a fast and praying for the long life of her husband.

The fast is observed during the month of Kartik on the fourth day of Krishna Paksha (descending moon). This generally falls in the month of October.

The earliest reference of a Karva Chauth can be found in the great epic of Mahabharata. As per Mahabharata, Arjun, a supreme warrior and one of the Pandavas, went to the Nilgiri Hills to offer his prayers and worship the gods. Draupadi, wife of the Pandavas, was accompanying him. On the way, Draupadi was struck with fear believing that she was alone in the forest with no one to protect her. As she treated Lord Krishna as her Brother, she invoked him to appear before her and help her out of this grave situation. On listening to her fear and perplexity, Lord Krishna cited an example of Goddess Parvati. Parvati in a similar situation asked Lord Shiva's help. Lord Shiva explained to her that to ward off such apprehensions, a woman could observe a fast on Kartik Krishna Chaturthi as a remedy. Lord Krishna advised Draupadi to undertake this fast and also assured her of he victory of the Pandavas. Women also pray to Lord Ganesha for the fulfillment of all their wishes.

The fast has all the trappings of festivity. Women dress up in their best finery, with henna-decked hands, bindis, colorful bangles, vermilion in their hair-parting and the best of jewelery. However, they do not eat even a morsel of food, neither drink a drop of water, from dawn till the moon rises. Finally, when the moon is sighted, the wife goes out to view it. The moon is worshiped and then she turns to view her husband's face through the pores of a sieve, praying for his long life. After performing the puja, its finally time for food.

I'll probably wear my wedding outfit for dinner, though I might just wear something else (so as to not ruin the gorgeous thing!). But I will have henna applied by my MIL on Saturday night, I will have to get up by 6am to make and eat a huge meal (I think I might have something in the fridge just to heat up and eat) and then Roy will be cooking the evening meal.

It will be interesting...I know I'm horrible when I can't eat, so I expect that I'll be totally grumpy! Can't even have water or anything like that! But as it's my first year after marriage, I definitely want to do it for my new family and new hubby!

2 comments:

Pradip Bhattacharya said...

what is the source of the story of Draupadi's karwa chauth? It is nowhere in Vyasa's Mahabharata.

UKYankee said...

I got all my information from the website as posted (www.karwachauth.com)...I do not know their sources and have not checked. Perhaps they have it listed somewhere in the website.