01 October 2007

Hard Day's Night

I'm quite happy that kids usually take a while to come to trust a new counselor. I've been here for three years and I'm finally on the 'good' list of the kids. Some trusted me right from day one, but most needed to hear that other kids had good experiences with me...and to be brought to me by those kids. This has allowed me to get adjusted to living overseas, being at a new school, being in a very new environment.

I've had tons of kids who are having a tough time adjusting to the changes in their lives and who are between depressed and anxious most of the time. If I didn't have the time to adjust myself, it might have been hard to help them out. And as you might remember from a previous post, even having had that time doesn't preclude me being stressed out at certain moments.

Today I've already met with three young kids who are all struggling with different issues...from anxiety and frustration with academics to transitional issues to anger and fear about a variety of family events, it's been quite a hectic day. And that's kinda the norm right now...I have a lot on my plate with kids. But it's what I do and I do 'enjoy' what I do...I feel good about my career and how I handle it.

My own adjustment was relatively quick, but it's only due to joining a team and meeting Roy so soon. I had moments where I was very unhappy and scared...so I can imagine that a teenager would have them even more...that these emotions would be amplified by their hormones and the like.

Life is crazy sometimes. And as a teenager, there are so many things that seem out of their control. It's tough. Really, really tough. But hopefully I can be there to help my little kiddos through this time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Liane, just wanted to say hello. This is Emily - I used to know you when you were living in Boston. We met through IVillage. I found your blog today through some postings I was looking at on one of the message boards. I'm glad to hear that you're doing so well and happily married in London. Mike and I just celebrated our 2nd anniversary and are still living in the Boston area. We might be in London in December, so I'll have to get in touch with you if I'm there.I'm not much of a blog person, but I'll definitely take a look at yours from time to time. Take care!

UKYankee said...

Hi Emily! So glad to hear rom you. Congrats on your 2nd anniversary. I'll be in India from the 21st of Dec to the 6th of Jan, but if you are in before then, I'd love to meet up!