14 September 2007

Up, up and away....

I always complain about men being big ol' babies when they get sick. I usually power through and do what I have to in work and home. But the past few days, I just want to be a baby too...I feel like whining up a storm...staying home and sleeping in. Not doing any work. Awww...poor me. Which is so pathetic. And so not me.

I was raised by a man who was so proud that he had only missed two days of work in 25 years of service to the school where he worked. Now this meant that he probably passed on some serious illnesses to the kids he worked with...but he was there. He was a guy who never went to the doctor - that was for wimps. And he passed this on a bit to his kids. We were the ones who had the spotless records at school...several years of perfect attendance. And when we got to work - how could we miss for any reason? I've moved beyond my dad and won't go in if I'm throwing up or feeling like death...but I still made it to work once during a blizzard, to keep the office going (I worked as a PA at the time).

I do go to the doctor, but only in extreme emergencies, like breaking a wrist. But didn't go when I dislocated my jaw...ice would work out fine.

I don't like that I've learned this habit. As a counselor, I preach taking care of yourself both physically and mentally. I don't want to be superwoman. I'm human. And I don't want to pass this on to any future generation.

So this week I did do a few things for myself. I took one day off from coaching and I came in later to work today (missed the first period class). I probably ought to have called off sick for the full day...but I couldn't let down a few kids who needed to see me today.

I'm not totally moving from being a superwoman...but at least I'm slowly admitting to being more like the human I am.

No comments: