05 March 2006

I am not hip. Even though I may have thought I was in my 20s, I don't think I was ever really close to being cool or 'with it'. And now in my late 30s I'm most definitely not someone who is up with the trends of the day. I'm lucky, if on a Saturday night, I can get myself to do my hair and put on a touch of makeup, no less try to do the latest thing. I didn't wear the tight, 'must be a size 8', jeans that have been in...I just don't have the body nor the desire to do so. I may wear a few things that are 'in' at the moment but that's about it. More often than not you'll see me in my classic wear. And I'm okay with that.

But last night, I went out and was at a pub that was most definitely 'hip'. The pub, whose name I can't remember anymore, was located in Camden/Chalk Farm, an area I've never really seen at night. The youngsters there were definitely trying really hard to look like they were in, or unique, or at least like they belonged. I was there for a "leaving do" along with a bunch of other people who weren't really 'hip'...though a few of them are young enough to care. It was great for people watching...the woman who had her fur jacket on (what was she thinking?), the guy with the 50s hairdo ala James Dean, or the girl with all her piercings and streak of red in her crew cut. I definitely did not fit. But it was fun to be part of this world of youth and experimenting with looks again...

No comments: