24 March 2006

Trouble with the law...

Ah...the joys of dealing with your local council. So much fun. My flatmate (A.) & I moved into a flat in Kilburn near the end of June of last year. We paid one month of council tax and then our lovely landlord, G., asked if we'd mind if he took over for it. Heck no. And yes, as soon as he asked for it, I'd pay the tax to him (which he hasn't). So, a few months later, we get a notice of non-payment from the council...and that we have to go to court about it. A. & I get in touch with G. and he has his personal assistant get in touch with the council who assure them that they've worked it out...no problem. So we don't go to court and we go on our merry way. So last week, A. comes into work with a notice from the Equita Certified Bailiffs saying that they will be coming to take our possessions on Monday. Major freakout...we again get in touch with G. who has his assistant get in touch with the council. They send us an email saying that
"Apparently there has been a mistake and the wrong account was closed, leaving
>> your account open and G's closed.
>> I need to put this in writing for the Brent council, which I am doing at
>> present.
>> The Brent council then need to clear it with the Baliff dept, which I will
>> follow up."

So we assumed it was taken care of...but we hadn't heard anything as of today. So we called the council. And were informed that WE still are in charge of the payment and that the Baliff won't be called off until the amount of £1028 is paid immediately. Like, as in TODAY. Unbelievable. We have given them G's work number.

ed. Just talked to the council...they can't get through to G. I've left a message on his mobile (he's in the air heading to London right now). We need to get this taken care of by noon so that they can call the Baliff and stop them. I have a feeling that A. will put it on her card as mine won't hold that amount. This sucks. There are just way too much bad things happening at once in my life...R's heat breaking, R's shower breaking, this...way too many expenses right around the same time that I'm supposed to be saving for the frickin thing to the States. I'm praying that I'll get paid a bunch extra in my next paycheck...cause otherwise I'm screwed.

No comments: