13 March 2006

My wasted-calorie weekend

I'm still feeling my weekend. It's something that creeps up on you as you head into your 30s...and then hits you with a BANG once you get to your mid-30s. Yes, it's the hangover. From college until probably my late 20s, I drank quite a bit. Not too much binge drinking (post-college), but definitely consistently and more than I did when I got into my 30s. And I drink even less now that I'm with R. And I'm happy about it as alcohol is pretty much a wasted calorie in so many ways. But this weekend was definitely a wasted calorie weekend.

Friday night I met up with some friends from the UK-Yankee website. Sounds crazy to meet up with people you meet on the net, but as an expat, it's one of the best ways of finding people who are 'like you'. We went to Ye Olde Chesire Cheese and drinking ensued. Now cause I had hockey the next day, I did stick to only having two single vodka drinks. Quite proud of myself there. And I had a ball...talked to a few of the women & guys I had met in earlier gatherings (very nice!) and met a few people, including one guy that I tend to contradict on the board (he was funny about it). So..overall a great success...there had to be at least 20 of us total throughout the evening. I went home and realized I was STARVIN'! So, as there wasn't any food at all in the fridge other than cheese...I ate a ton of that and then binged on Lime flavoured Dorritos. Yup, really healthy...oy!

Saturday morning I enjoyed a full English breakfast with my friend, G. Great restaurant called Jays in W. Hamptead. I'll definitely head back there. I was quite pleased that I just ate as much as I was hungry for & actually left some food on my plate...then again I still ate enough to last for hours! A few hours later I played my game (another win) and then went to the club for teas. I ended up eating a plate of fries and some baked beans. I am pathetic when it comes to those two items. And of course, I was going out to dinner so I really, really didn't need to eat that kind of junk.

Went home and got all gussied up. The hen night theme was sexy & black, so I was wearing a new L.B.D. and some cute new heels (with a peekaboo toe..so hip & in...yeah, right). I met up with a few cricket friends who were also invited to the hen night. We had a drink at the bar and then off to Covent Garden for food. More and more wine was consumed as well as some very lovely food at Browns. More wine and then off to the Soho Lounge. Such a blast...had our own private space with a bouncer - loads of guys REALLY wanted to join our party & can you blame 'em...tons of women in slinky black dresses...and then more wine. Around 1am (way past my bedtime) a bunch of us decided to catch the 189 night bus and off we went. I almost fell asleep before my stop but somehow made it to the flat where my stumbling woke up poor R. I know I got undressed, felt ill but didn't throw up and passed out asleep. I didn't drink a huge amount (despite the more and more wine) compared to my past drinking...but when you barely drink on a weekly basis, even a few wines over a few hours can hit you hard.

So...after a few nights of less sleep, a few hours of drinking, I had a hungover Sunday. I went from bed to couch and barely anything else. Luckily for me, R. was quite sympathetic and took care to feed me and get me water. He even went out to get me a falafel burget at G.B.K.!

But on to today....yes, I'm still feeling it a bit. But that's what you get from a wasted calorie weekend!

No comments: