03 March 2006

Human nature

Okay, I admit it. I'm a bit different than many people. I actually like riding on the tube. Now I know that I don't have to ride into central London (zone 1) so I don't always get the packed sardine syndrome and I get to miss the joys of riding on the tube during some of the hottest of months. But I enjoy the tube overall. Why? Cause it's amazing for people watching. The nature of my job is that I watch, listen and try to either figure people out or help them figure themselves out, so human nature is definitely a top subject for me. And good lord, the tube is an amazing place to see a variety of human nature. For example:

  • The other day I was sitting across from a little girl who shyly showed me the coins in her pocket. Her mom seemed so happy not to have to pay attention for just a few minutes.
  • The guy who thought no one in this crowded tube would notice that he was picking his nose.
  • The woman with her shaved head and multiple piercings boldly checking others out...while the rest of us were trying to do the same thing but not quite so boldly.
  • The woman who just couldn't wait that one extra second to let me off the tube before she began to shove her way on...I checked it out...she didn't get a seat. Why the rush?
  • The two lovebirds who never notice that anyone else exists in the world...so lost in each other's eyes.

Tube riding is such a wonderful experience for me, but perhaps in a few more years (or if I have to take a child on board) I won't have so much fun. But in the meanwhile I look forward to seeing what funky kind of person I'll 'meet' as I ride the tube today after work.

No comments: