28 March 2006

Let's Get This Party Startin'

Saturday night was the end of season dinner for my hockey club. Imagine...12 teams, 6 mens' and 6 ladies' teams...each with at least 10 people...most of them 20-something Brits who like to drink...and most of whom are quite loud...all gathered in one big room set up like we're here for a cheesy wedding reception. It was quite the sight. And of course, I forgot to take pictures (hoping that someone has a few I can put on here later!). But it was a great evening! Last year I definitely got a bit too drunk as I could barely figure out that I had won the most valuable player award...even after they handed me a pink tiara - yes, it was a good look! And I didn't really know the people on my team or feel entirely comfortable being in that social situation. But this year, I was just 'happy' and I really like my team as well as feel comfy with them.

Before the actual dinner, we all met at one of the girls' house for some munchies and champagne. It's lovely how cheap good champoo is over here! We were given our new bandanas - tiger like black & white as opposed to the old ones which had a cow-like pattern (moo). And then we headed via taxi (heels far too tottering to walk too far) to the hotel where we ate a (not so good) 3 course dinner. The best part of the evening was handing out the presents to our coach and captain, followed by a huge group of drunken dancing. I had a blast! Now, as you must know by now, I'm not really a party girl. My nights are spent more on the couch than on the club floor...but get me out there & I can get my groove on (yes, I do plan on embarrassing any future children with my so not hip sayings!). This lasted until 1:30am after which we headed to the imfamous Lower Ground Bar in W. Hampstead. It is quite rank but it is the place where we hold membership, can get in for free and continue the party. I lasted about 15 minutes and then went to find a taxi. This did not work. And my phone not working did not help. So I fished out my last quid to call my bf. He was not happy with me, but dutifully came and picked me up at that 'god-awful' hour. Can you see why I love this man?!!!

Yup, it was a fun night. And I wasn't even hung over (just tired) the next morning...yup, drinking a water inbetween alcoholic drinks is a smart thing sometimes!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On an aside...the seabass which I cooked last night was great! I got the recipe here: seabass in a mustard champagne sauce.

No comments: