15 November 2007

Grease!

The very name brings back memories of standing on a friend's bed, hairbrush in hand, record player twirling as we belt out the songs to our favorite movie. We were too young to have a crush on Danny...but thought it'd be cool to be Sandy.

I've seen the movie a dozen or so times. And when the songs come on the radio or at a dance, I'm definitely there singing my heart out.

So yesterday, when my friend Mariam asked me if I wanted to go see the show cause she won free tickets, I had to say 'YES!'. It's a cool thing that the school has promoted...if a parent has an extra ticket or two for some sort of event, they can donate it to the school who then puts out a raffle. Everything from musicals to music to museums. It's one of those little things you appreciate!

Mariam didn't have the fever. She had seen it once when she was very little. Didn't know the songs and couldn't remember the story too well. She had chosen well...I would help educate her in the world of Grease!

We talked about the music of the times, the way things were about to change and what it would have been like to grow up in the 50s. This was the time that my dad had grown up around. Music from that era had been played in my house all the time. I remember dancing with my daddy, on his feet, rockin' and a rollin' all night long (or so it goes).

The musical is not a great one, but it's tons of fun. You want to get up and dance. But as we were in the THIRD ROW, it didn't seem appropriate. We could see the actors up close, really hear them sing and see them sweat. It was amazing.

So I had a blast. It was worth being tired today to have that happy night.

Grease is the word, is the word, is the word....

1 comment:

Lane said...

Grease IS the word! Third row!? I am really jealous! Glad you had a nice time!