20 November 2007

On the bus...

I'm an eavesdropper by nature. I know, it's a bad habit. But I never do it to people I know...good excuse, eh?

The bus always seems to be a great place to listen in to all sorts of funny conversations, from two little old ladies talking about the best place to get their hair set to the near incomprehensible chatter of the little kids.

Yesterday, I got onto a very packed bus, so I had to go to the very back and sit next to two teenage girls on their way home from school. From the conversation I gathered that they were around 14 or 15.

Just as I plotted next to them, the word 'sex' came out. I couldn't help myself. I had to listen from that moment onward. It's not a long trip - about 10 minutes - so I was certain that this little snippet would be quite interesting...and yes, it was that.

They began by talking about first times, their own as well as other girls. I was a bit disturbed that at such a young age they were talking about how wonderful it all ways and whatnot. That so many of their friends had done it for the first time in their early teens. I'm almost certain that the 'wonderfulness' was more that a boy wanted them and was 'showing their love', than any true pleasure. Teenagers are not known for their unselfishness and so I'm almost certain that most boys would have no clue how to, let's say, pleasure these girls.

One girl then moved on to talk about how much she missed sex. (At 15?!!) And the word, vibrator, came up. They declared that no, vibrators are only for lonely ugly lesbians. Oh, how I wanted to let them know that many heterosexual women and indeed couples actually loved vibrators and that they could be part of a healthy sexual life. But I held back.

Finally they talked about how they got caught by their parents in different ways - be it a hickey or in bed with a boy. All I know is that if Roy or I catch a child of ours in bed with someone else at that age, they won't be seeing daylight until they are 25. And their partner might start running now, cause it wouldn't be pretty.

Oh the meanderings of teenage girls. Ten minutes of sex talk. Giggles. And sighs. I just had to get off the bus, shaking my head, and hope that I can teach my kids to wait until they are a bit more mature and emotionally ready to handle it all. And that sex, by that time, is still something to treasure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Crap! I really hope these girls were just talking and they were telling all sorts of stories that weren't true just to impress their friends. I mean I suppose I lost my viginity at 16 and that is really young and not much different than 14-15 but holy crap. Also, I know it doesn't make much different but it was with a long time boyfriend.....

I would have had a really hard time holding my tongue about the vibrators....I would have probably recommended that they get one so they can feel what a real orgasm is like, because I doubt at 14 they are getting the real thing from boy.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's so sad ... really really sad!

That said, doesn't everyone eavesdrop? It can happen by accident!

Lane said...

I hate to think I'm becoming a prude, but I too would have had a hard time not schooling those little ones on a few things!

And I agree with Christina, eavesdropping is NORMAL! :)