24 November 2007

In goal

I stand there. My right hand is getting a bit cold, but that makes sense as the goalie glove covering it is not as closed as the one on my left hand. Can't believe that when we got here the pitch was frozen. But we're playing this game as no one wants to have to come out this early in a few weeks time. Let's get it over with. We're okay with playing.

The ball is at the other end of the pitch. 'Come on West Hampstead', I call. I hope that they can keep it up there. Maybe even score.

The ball moved down the pitch. One of the forwards did a bad tackle. Tweet. It's the oppo's ball. A hard hit and they are halfway toward my goal. Come on girls, get a move on it. Block that ball.

Ah, no, it's gotten past my midfield line. I hope that someone goes on her. 'Kelly, take her', I shout. But the ball gets passed to their best player, who then does a great move past her defender.

It's just her and me. I can do this. Focus on the ball. Should I slide? No, stay up. Ready on your toes. That's it, you got the shot. Now get ready in case it comes back your way.

'Push it out right', 'Come on do it', yelling as hard as I can. And off it goes, back across the 50. Another moment in time. Another feeling of relief that they didn't score. Breathe out.

'Come on Hampstead. Keep it up there.'

No comments: