23 November 2007

Nanny

My grandmother, Nanny, died in her sleep the night before Thanksgiving. So I got a call yesterday afternoon about it. Nanny was my cool grandmother. She had been born in England and came over the US with her family when she was only 9. She was an artist who had gotten her degree in Italy and then went on to teach at a private school in NJ. Nanny had the travel bug and every time we went to visit, showed me something she had collected in her world travels. And I mean world - she and my grandpa (or on her own after he died) went to every continent and so many countries. I got my bug to travel and explore from her. I came to appreciate the world of art from her. In her last year, she was struggling as she was finally fully blind (a degenerative eye disease) and wheelchair bound. She was very ready to die at the age of 91. I won't be able to go back for a funeral and I'll miss her a lot. She was my inspiration.

4 comments:

andrea said...

I am so sorry, my thoughts are with you and your whole family right now!

Caitlin said...

I'm sorry Liane. I'll be thinking of you!

Lane said...

I'm sorry for your loss Liane. Thanks for sharing some memories of Nanny.

Carrie said...

I'm so sorry.