08 July 2006

More Movement

How odd to be back on a computer. It's a rare thing when I go even 24 hours without accessing my email or anything else. But it's been so very nice to not even have the option. To disconnect from anything electronic was wonderful! But I'm back...at least for a day or so...probably after this I'll be on only one more time until I arrive back in London (next Saturday).

We've had a blast so far. Spent a few days in Boston with friends and ate & drank like there was no tomorrow. And then took a flight to BWI...which was only 20 minutes from Gibson Island. We spent one lovely 4th of July there at my cousin's house on the Island. It is definitely a unique place...feels sorta 1950s in a way - skinny moms who don't work, men who come to the island for a weekend but work during the week, kids who can run amok without worrying about being abducted. It's a VERY wealthy community. As someone who is not, it was a facinating glimpse into this world.

We then drove the next day to Alexandria, VA where my cousin has a house. We did a bit of touring around Alexandria, watched one of the Cup games and then ate seafood in Old Town. I love Old Town! It brings back some wonderful memories of going out with friends there. Unfortunately we couldn't all get together. Sigh. The next night we went out with R's uncle, who he hadn't seen in almost 30 years. We met him and his white American girlfriend...and had fun. We got turned away from a bar for not having our passports (no id) so went out for Chinese in Chinatown. Yum. Slept a bit that night (not much due to creepy old house noises) and then went on a flight to Denver.

My best friend, J., of 30 years lives there with her guy and we had another friend, N., coming out to visit. We went to downtown Denver to a wine bar (quite nice) and for dinner at Tamayo..it's a funky mexican style restaurant. We left a sleepy bunch and didn't wake up this morning until around 10am. We're now planning on heading to Boulder for the day...and more stories will come soon!

I'm so happy I've done this vacation. I feel so good about it and feel so much closer to R. We've learned a lot about how we deal with things and haven't killed each other. I guess that's a good sign!

No comments: