16 January 2007

The Look of....

I didn't mean to do it. Really. It was something that just happened. And if you happen to be the guy who I gave "The Look" to...I'm sorry.

"The Look" is something that I used to always fear in high school. A teacher would turn it on you and that would be it. Toast. What I didn't realize is that it is something that is bequeathed to you upon teacherhood...that it comes with the territory. I thought I'd never get the look down...that kids would continue on in my classes in bliss, never feeling the blistering heat. But no...it came. And it works. I imagine that "The Look" will come in handy if I also have kids of my own, though maybe that 'look' is something slightly different...perhaps parents are given a different style to use.

So this morning, as I'm getting off the train, a guy is pushing from behind. But I don't give it another thought as it's a packed train and someone else is probably pushing him. But when the same guy tried to push his way in front of me to get up the stairs, I guess I gave him "The Look"...cause he stopped, looked a touch shocked, and let me pass in front. I didn't mean to give him the look. Didn't realize that it becomes part of the non-school functions...but it certain worked.

So. Yah know. I take it back. I don't apologize to the guy. I was in heels. And no one should try to push a woman out of the way just to be one step on front. He deserved the look more than most of the kids in my class (though not all). Beware people of London...The Look could get you too! ;-)

No comments: