06 August 2006

Red skies at night...

I haven't gone out in central London in ages. So I was pleased when I got the invite to my friend Amy's birthday party. Woo hoo...a chance to get dressed up a bit and get out of NW London (not that the area isn't fun...I just like a break from it once in a while). R., in his fully approved outfit, and I got all gussied up and took off for Blackfriars station which was the easiest to get to considering our transport links. We then walked across the Milenium Bridge and turned left to get to Zakudia.

Now before I describe my evening, I have to tell you that I looked good. I was quite pleased with myself. My skirt was a lovely red rose print, topped with a red tee and black 3/4 sleeve cardi. But the best part were my shoes. Completely wrong for walking around London but so very lovely. R. was quite turned on by these gorgeous pieces of red leather that made my legs and ankles look so slim and well proportioned. There may be days where I don't feel good about my body, but if I put these shoes on, I feel all sexy and wonderful!




Zakudia is a fun bar with a great outlook. You can sit and just watch the Thames as boats float on by and the light of the ending of the day bounces off the slight waves. It's a small bar but big enough for our party. Amy was already quite "happy" by the time we got to the party, having tried out a few of their specialty martinis. The one she had in her hand looked great. It was the Miss Thames: raspberries muddled with a large measure of Stolichinaya Rasberi and topped with cranberry and apple juice. Mmmm...lovely. But I had in mind my typical summer drink, a Stoli vanil and tonic with lime. The perfect summer taste. Like a crisp cream soda. R. started off with a beer and then tried the Cappuccino Martini: a creamy blend of white chocolate liqueur Polstar vodka and Illy coffee finished with a frothy cappuccino head. It was lovely. But not something you can drink often.

We both decided to stop at two drinks after our evening from hell. He had to play cricket the next day and I just didn't want a hangover. But that didn't stop us from having fun. It was nice to see a friend I hadn't seen in ages (plus get to know her hubby a bit better) as well as make some new aquaintances. And to just get OUT.

As we walked back across the bridge, the light was just perfect for some pictures. So I took out my mobile phone and like a tourist, snapped away.



R. agreed, we have to do this much more often. Meet in town, try out a new place, taste a new restaurant and walk around town. There's a certain romance to London at dusk. And that's something that is always welcome in a relationship.

No comments: