11 September 2006

5 Years Ago

5 years ago. I was working at Episcopal High School in Alexandria, VA. It is located about 3 miles from the Pentagon.

5 years ago. I was dating a guy who was working in the Pentagon that day.

5 years ago. I was not teaching when the first plane hit. But heard the news through another teacher. Each classroom had a television in it so we turned on the news. And then saw the second plane hit.

5 years ago. I went outside to see if I could find an administrator. And heard an amazing noise. At the time I didn't know that it was the sound of military planes taking off after the Pentagon hit.

5 years ago. I had to hold in my own fears for my bf as I worried about the kids whose parents were working in the towers and the Pentagon. We were lucky. All the parents got out. But there was a lot of work for me in the following days. You couldn't live in the DC area and not be affected somehow.

5 years ago. My bf was fine. He's live on to cause more serious heartache later.

5 years ago. I was one of the lucky ones. And my prayers go out to those who lost someone.

I've now been in two cities struck by terrorists. It's part of life now. Innocence is gone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I found your blog through your comments on other websites; now that I've finished all of your archived posts I have to say that I think we're kindred spirits. You have inspired me in a way that is too new to share, but I'd like to say thank you for starting this blog. Thank you for sharing your experiences.
Oh, and by the way, you can never talk about your upcoming wedding TOO much. :) (I also bought a wedding gown on ebay, it was perfect!)
Thanks again,
Sarah

UKYankee said...

Thanks for your comment...hope to hear more if you see anything worth commenting on!