14 September 2006

A fish feast and bad shoes



Recently, R. has been feeding me lots of pizza and pasta. I'm trying to lose weight for the wedding and this is not helping (as they are amongst my favorites foods). So last night I decided to introduce more fish into our diet. And boy was last night's meal delish!

I made rainbow trout with caramelised onions. Sweet and also spicy, the fish just melted in your mouth. And with a side of rice and roasted veggies, it was a gorgeous meal.

I started out by making a syrup of water & brown sugar. I then added sliced garlic (10 cloves!), ginger and a hot green chili. After cooking down a bit more, I then squeezed in a lime and put in a touch of fish sauce which gave it a Thai sort of feel. The fish was just pan fried in a touch of olive oil for about 5 minutes per side until the skin was crispy.

Roy, who isn't really a fish person, decided that this was fantastic and that, yes, we should eat more fish now. So I'm in search of good fish recipes that are reasonably healthy...

------------------------------------------------

Have you ever purchased shoes quickly? You see them, think they'd be great, try them on but not 'really' (as in you don't walk around too much), get them home, still don't think about walking around in them on carpet to test them, and then go out into the real world with them and think - "Damn...these shoes are cute but *&%$£ they hurt!". That happened to me today. I bought some cute work shoes while I was in the States. They are Nine West, which I usually have good luck with. Black, medium heeled, funky bits of extra leather & brass metal bits all over them...absolutely cool looking shoes. And they hurt. So much that I'm sitting in my office without shoes on. And not looking forward to teaching in 20 minutes with them on. I think the kids will just have to deal with my toes being shown. Sigh. Now I have to spend more money on new shoes, cause I just can't imagine having to wear these all winter long as my cool work shoes. And I didn't want to spend money this autumn on clothing or shoes - I want it for our wedding!!!! Bugger!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two fish recipes that are a huge hit in my house:

Salmon: mix 2tbs apple jelly, 1tbs horseradish and a splash of red wine vinegar; set aside.

Brown the salmon on both sides in a cast iron frying pan on medium heat. Brush generously with the apple jelly mixture and transfer to a 350 degree oven. Cook turning once (brush apple mixture on second side) until done.

Cod or other white fish: heat 1tbs olive oil in frying pan, sprinkle pepper on both sides of fish, cook fillet until about 1/2 done, add "some" soy sauce and finish cooking.
(you can add as much or as little soy sauce as you want, more soy = less "fish" taste)

UKYankee said...

Yummy! Thanks!