09 September 2006

Love

I was reading another blog that asked us to write down our story about how we met our good guys. And I thought to myself...have I ever written down how I met R.? I'm not sure I have. (And quite honestly I'm too lazy right now to go and look). So, with less than 7 months until our wedding, I'll let you know the story...

I arrived in London in July 2004. I was going to be a school counselor, teach a Psychology course and coach a field hockey team. One of the coaches had some interest in joining a hockey club in the area and I was excited about doing it too. So I went to their open day. And had a blast. A few of the people were really quite welcoming...one being Ali T. She invited us back to the club for drinks and took it upon herself to look after me for the next few weeks. We got on great. Which was good cause work wasn't going so well.

In mid-October '04, Ali T. invited me to go to her birthday party, which was going to be held at a ceilidh or Scottish dance. I wasn't sure I wanted to go as I was only going to know Ali T., but figured I might as well as I'd meet other people. So I showed up at the pub where people were meeting. Had a drink with all sorts of new people. And then we were off to the ceilidh. There I met a bunch of new people, including R. I honestly thought that he had a girlfriend with him. So I didn't really flirt. In fact I was having a high time flirting with one of Ali's college friends. R. just knew Ali through cricket.

Then the last dance arrived. And R. asked me to dance. We were both quite squiffy by that point and had a blast...we laughed at ourselves and each other. We were NOT in a state to dance. But we made it through. And at the end, R. turned to me and bam! He kissed me straight on the lips. And it was soooo unexpected...but sooo nice!

And we spent most of the night together talking and talking and talking. And that was the beginning. A few days R. called me and asked me out. I wasn't so sure about him...but something led me to give him a chance. And boy am I glad I did. He has added so much to who I am and to my life.

So that's it. That's the story. Of course there's a bit more to it...but that's private to me and R.

No comments: