05 December 2006

So ya pick up the bat...

Today I get to do something new and (hopefully) fun. I'll be heading to the top of the Rainbow Tower, where our kindergarten classrooms reside, and talk to the kids about cricket.

Today is sports day for the little ones and they've asked teachers to come and talk about a sport that they know. I figured that many of the faculty wouldn't really have a good understanding of cricket, so I volunteered. Luckily, another woman, who I work with, has offered to come as well...so we'll both give our views & thoughts.

How fun to talk to the little ones. I'm so used to my little world of high school, and rarely see the kindergarteners except when they are walking back and forth from the gym once in a while. It will be cool to see what sort of questions they will ask. Hopefully I'll be able to answer.

I brought my outfit, a ball and a bat. Should be interesting, eh?

When I get back, I'll add to the blog and let you know how it went....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a great time. I didn't get to wear my outfit (had a meeting right up to the time), but I did bring it in to show them. And I did a demo on how to hold the bat & the movement. The other woman and I showed what you do when you want to score (run like mad). We talked about the players positions and we talked about where it all came from. There was some good interest...and they loved handling the ball and bats!

1 comment:

noissues said...

Please let me know how it went. I can just picture the little tikes holding the bat and swinging. I hope they don't cry when they get an out. I'm from Guyana so cricket is a big thing. One of the players on the West Indies team was Carl Hooper...he's originally from Guyana but I believe he lives in England now.