01 December 2006

December 1

Today is World AIDS Day. It is a day where you wear a red ribbon in memory of those who have died of AIDS and in hope that one day the world will no longer be afflicted with such a devistating illness. At my school, I'm the adult who is attached to the AIDS club. We are handing out ribbons (suggested donation is £1) as well as putting up posters all over school. I hope that you can find somewhere to buy a red ribbon to support the cause.


Facts:

Around forty million people are living with HIV throughout the world.

What is HIV?
HIV stands for the Human Immunodeficiency Virus. HIV attacks the body’s immune system - the body’s defence against diseases. HIV, if detected early, can be treated very successfully. With treatment, people living with HIV will probably have a normal lifespan, although serious health problems may still occur.

What is AIDS?
AIDS stands for Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. A person is considered to have AIDS when the immune system has become so weak that it can no longer fight off a whole range of diseases with which it would normally cope. If HIV is diagnosed late, treatment may be less effective in preventing AIDS.

How is HIV passed on?
HIV is not transmitted via casual contact or kissing. It can only be passed on through exposure to HIV-infected blood, sexual or rectal fluids, or breast milk.

The most common ways are via:
Sexual intercourse with an infected partner where blood or sexual fluids like semen and vaginal or rectal secretions enter the body through the penis, vagina or anus.
Sharing infected needles or syringes when injecting drugs.
From an HIV positive mother to her child during pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding. However, there are proven steps mothers can take to reduce the possibility of their unborn child contracting HIV.

Less common ways are via:
Oral sex - although the risks are much lower than with sexual intercourse, blood or sexual fluids may occasionally enter the body via the mouth, particularly if the uninfected partner has gum problems or mouth ulcers.
Unscreened and untreated transfusions of blood or blood products. However, in the UK all blood products are screened for HIV and other blood-borne diseases.
An accident in a medical setting, where a healthcare worker is exposed to the blood of an infected person, usually during surgery or via a needlestick injury.

You cannot get HIV from day-to-day contact such as:
Kissing, Touching, Holding hands, Sharing eating utensils, Toilet seats, Swimming pools

Take some time out to think about those who are suffering - not only those who have AIDS, but those families who have lost a member or those children who are orphans due to the disease. There are so many misbeliefs about HIV & AIDS...let's educate the world.


Thanks to www.worldaidsday.org for this information.


3 comments:

noissues said...

UK, I'm so glad you took care to post on this topic. I've already lost 2 uncles, a neighbor and I know 2 former colleagues still living with it.

In my country as it is around the world, World AIDS Day is a huge affair. In fact, when I lived back home, I used to enter competitions and submit essays on this topic. The only problem is that it gets submitted to a Committee and the Committee in turn, retypes the entire essay and don't take enough care to avoid any mistakes. If you goggle me under Abiola Barrett on yahoo, you'll find an essay I wrote over 5 years ago.

I wish I could do more today but it's just not in my face like before so I've placed it on the backburner. Shame on me!!!

UKYankee said...

Glad you read the post...perhaps it will help get you motivated for next year!!!

noissues said...

UK, can you believe I actually said: 'If you goggle me....on yahoo'? They're 2 entirely different search engines. That's just so weird that I wasn't so focused yesterday and here I am complaining about the numerous mistakes the committee makes with the retyping.