26 July 2007

Healthy

So I've been in this new 'diet' for a week. It's not necessarily a diet as much as a new way to try eating. I haven't been exactly faithful to it - eating what they say that day - but I'm following most of the 'rules' and doing what I can.

This diet is the 5-Factor diet. It has some good ideas in it - you workout 5 days a week, for a minimum of 25 minutes (so the days you have little time, you can get a few things done and feel good for having done them). You eat protein, carb, fiber, healthy fats & drink a sugar free drink (water for me usually). You have one cheat day a week, where you can eat anything. And 5 meals a day - the normal 3 and 2 snacks.

Now, I'm not usually hungry for the snacks as I'm eating breakfast much later than I normally do and eating lunch at a normal time...so I've been mixing my snack possibilities with my lunch to make a much nicer combination. Or I'll mix up the ingredients in different ways. Today I was supposed to have a black bean & tofu mix as well as a soup...I just made the soup into more of a stew with the beans and tofu mixed in. Much nicer!

I also add many more spices than they call for, cause I don't want bland food. Ick. No way! One of the problems with this diet is that it's US-centric...we don't tend to have many fat-free items in the small grocers around here...or sometimes even in the big ones. People just don't eat fat free sour cream. So I've used the full fat things (like cottage cheese), but less of it. It's just the way it is.

Even if I don't really lose much weight on this diet, I do still feel much healthier for it. I'm eating very fresh things and with the combination of products, feeling full. I like that. I won't be able to do this during the school year, especially in the autumn, but I will strive to eat things that make me feel good and last me a while...less fats, less sugars...yeah, I like that idea.

No comments: