05 July 2007

Terror

I have to admit that all of the latest news about terrorism in London and Glasgow is quite scary to me. The possibility that there are men who were trained to be doctors, the ones who SAVE lives, who are willing to kill people through car bombs, is quite frightening. And I can see why terrorists would want to 'hire' someone like that. It definitely screws with your mind. You start thinking, 'Who can I trust?'. And that is more powerful than any bomb going off.

Now, this won't stop me from doing what I need to do during my normal daily life. Or Roy's life. Yesterday, he was kept from leaving his building at work, as they were doing a forced detonation in a car right near where he was. The entire sector were asked to remain in their buildings and get back from windows. Not cool. But we're all still going to work (well, I'm not) or going shopping (I definitely am). And that's what is great about being in London. UK people have lived through so much - World Wars, IRA and now more terrorists - and keep their 'stiff upper lip'. While they may be a touch more nervous to travel on the tube sometimes, they still do it. It's just what they do.

I've checked out the newspapers in the US to see what they are saying about all of this, and I'm quite happy that it's very low key. I'd hate for my parents to be freaking out about it all. But we do have fears over here that this will not only continue but get worse. I kinda hope nothing too major happens...I'm grateful that no innocents were killed by the latest actions.

Next week, I leave to go back to the States for a conference. I know that there are possibilities that flights could be cancelled, delayed or otherwise messed up. I really hope that nothing of the sort happens, but if it doesn, I'll deal. I'm looking forward to going to this conference, and to see my dad and step-mom (it's in Philly which is relatively close to my hometown) for a day. It will be very cool. And give Roy a needed break from me - once you spend 2 weeks in each others' company non-stop, you sometimes need some time apart. I've had the days to myself...but Roy always is around people at work and then home to me...it'll be good for him to not have to worry about what I want for a few days!

No comments: