10 April 2006

Da da dada...Da da dada.

Last week was a blur. Between trying to walk as far & as much as I could, getting R.'s flat ready for me to move into, seeing friends and finally shopping for a dress, I was quite busy. The dress shopping part was the most crazy provoking part of the week. Usually I have no problem shopping but when you aren't exactly sure what to buy then it can be a daunting process. The reason it was so hard was that the dress was for a wedding...my first London wedding. I couldn't imagine what one would wear to such an event. Particularly an afternoon wedding. People had told me dresses. Oy. What style would work? What would actually fit me and look good? So I spent hours looking, trying on, getting frustrated and finally finding one in the last store I was planning on going to. The dress is lovely, a pale aqua blue with grey print flowers, all flowing & somewhat 20s style. It was different from anything that I saw in the stores and I hoped that it would work...it just seemed pretty enough for a wedding but not too dressy.

The wedding was betweeen friends of R. & me. The young woman, E., is a ladies cricketer and the young man, L., is a guy cricketer...thus how we know each other. E. & L. had been dating for 7 years before this day and so (at least E.) were ready for marriage. A very cute couple and well matched, everyone involved was excited for them. The lady cricketers who were invited met at a pub in W. Hampstead before the event. R. was not the only boy there as another coach and two bfs were there. We had a small drink and then took a few taxis over to the church in Highgate. The church was of Catholic persuasion and quite ornate within. Like most churches, it had quite hard wooden seating which we 'enjoyed' for quite a while. The priest was good, not talking too much and able to make some jokes with the couple. But the service was long as they included a full mass. Poor R. hadn't ever experienced such a thing and was flabergasted by the communion part (had to explain that no, the wafer was not a mint). But the music choices were fine and E. looked so pretty in her dress.

On, then, next door to the party. Drink was plentiful, starting with champagne cocktails and followed by anything from wine to sparkling water to vodka & coke. My gang, of course, had decided that drinking was on. And it flowed and flowed. Food was finger style and available throughout the evening. Guests were quite happy and friendly, even Jenny Frost, ex-Atomic Kitten, was smiling at all. R & I left early in the evening as we were tired and figured that 5 hours of partying was enough...we weren't really drinking (per agreement) and wanted a good night's sleep.

The wedding was quite wonderful, I felt my dress was a hit (got a bunch of compliments) and we had a blast. Not bad for my first London wedding.

No comments: