28 April 2006

Last night, yes, a school night, I went out with friends from my hockey team. The lovely West Hampstead Ladies' 2s. We were celebrating our amazing no-loss, winning the league season. And quite a few of us showed up! Being the early bird that I am, I showed up first at The Washington. It's an old Victorian pub that still has some of the characteristics. High ceilings with funky design (like the old tin ceilings you sometimes find in bars in the States), quaint lighting and a good size bar. The wine was yummy and not too overly pricey, which is always a good thing. I got a chance to look around, do my favorite people watching and try not to look like I felt too uncomfortable cause I was alone in a somewhat crowded bar filled with couples and groups.

But soon Claire showed up (she lives nearby). We chatted about my engagement, how to deal with awful mother-in-laws who think their sons are still their 'lil baby boy' and how we're going to rock next season. Claire & I are 'hair sisters' as we both have to deal with our curly locks...though she has much tighter curls than mine. So, of course, part of the discussion was on product and hair cuts from hell!

And then the team came pouring in, one after another until all 10 of us were sitting around a table in the (thank goodness) no smoking section. We chatted about 2007 when pubs become no smoking and we can go home smelling just as lovely as when we arrived. We received our gold medals from winning the league (and yes, I will wear it to work next week like a total chav).

It felt kinda fitting that I left first...but as I had to be up at 6:30am, I felt I should be responsible and get home to get some sleep. Bleary eyed is just not a good look on me! I tried calling Roy to see if he was still at his parents, but didn't get him (was hoping to get a ride!), so I had to walk up the hill to the tube station. I fully expected to have to grab a bus to get home after I got out of the tube, but I lucked out that Roy was in the area & on his way back from the 'rents. And so I got picked up and taken home. Bed came soon after. Man...what a good night!

No comments: