19 May 2006

Break in

It's 9:30pm. Roy & I are just about ready to go to bed (it was a late night due to Arsenal game the night before). And then he gets a phone call. It's A. My old flatmate.

A. I can't get into the house. The chain is locked.

L. What? How did that happen?

A. I think someone is in there.

L. Shit. Call the police.

A. No. I want you and R. to check it out first to make certain I'm not being idiotic.

L. We're coming, but you really ought to call the police.

Now I'm quite peeved that this is happening. I'm exhausted from this week...I just wanted an early night with lots of sleep. I was feeling ill from being so tired. And R wasn't so pleased either. But she's our friend, so we're heading over.

We get there and, yes, the chain is locked. So we call the police and talk to our nice neighbors who let us wait inside their house. The police come within 10 minutes (which is very reassuring)...in fact another set come 10 minutes after that. They cut through the chain to get in and do a search. The place has been turned upside down.

We have to wait for another 1-1/2 hours until the crime division come to try to get finger prints. And then after that we can check on stolen stuff...cause we're not allowed to touch anything.

Luckily none of the big stuff was taken - A's computer, our big screen tv, etc. But we both lost a couple of gold jewelry items. My high school class ring, my gold watch that was given to me on my 16th birthday, a gold bangle from Italy and a few other cheap gold things. Nothing that mean much to me (or else they would be with me at R's place)...but still, my stuff that I left there was all mussed up.

So, we finally left the house and took A. to Roy's. We emailed our bosses and told them we'd be in late. And we slept in a bit, had coffee and cereal & took the bus in. And now sitting at work, a bit more tired (but happy it's Friday), I'm glad that I've moved out and that A. will be moving to another place in one month. Sigh. Living in the city can be hard...but they haven't broken me yet.

No comments: