03 May 2006

I hate diets. I hate the idea of dieting. I had some food issues back in college so that I never want to go back there. Basically, my field hockey coach told me I was too fat. Yes, she told this to a 19 year old who had just lost a bunch of weight. I was probably 5' 5" at that point (I grew in college) and probably weighed about 130 lb with 22% body fat. Does this sound fat to you? So I decided to lose even more weight. I don't know what I actually weighed, but it's only due to beer that I kept a reasonable weight on...I ate next to nothing each day - a few bagels or some veggies. And then the woman had the nerve to have the captain come up and talk to me about losing too much weight when I hit 21. Are you kidding me? How much can you mess up a female's mind?!!!

So after that I decided that I would no longer go on diets. Of course, I have, but nothing as insane. And I still hate them. But the problem is...I've gained weight. I moved over here weighing in the 130s and am solidly in the mid-140s. I don't care about weight but I'm also not able to fit into clothing that I love and want to keep...plus shopping for bigger sizes really sucks! Especially in England as you are already 1-2 sizes larger to begin with (a size 10 in US is a size 12 or 14 in UK). And I know the reason I gained weight due to boy. Yup, spending so much time cooking with him and being served insane portions that he's encouraged me to eat has done me in. Yup - it's HIS fault. Okay...I recognize it's my fault but it's easier to take it out on him!

So...I decided to join Weight Watchers. And modify it. There is no way that I can exist on the amount of food that they want me to eat. It's insane. But it's making me look at my food differently - I am eating WAY more veggies...and cutting back on sugar...and eating smaller portions. And I am actually recording my food on the website. Whew. Hopefully I can keep this up and six months later I'll weigh my 'old' way. But in the meanwhile...I'm not on a diet. I'm just watching out for my health. (gulp)

I have started a specialized blog to write about my progress. I want to keep it separate from here, which is more about life & living. But if you want to check it out, please do: http://ukyankee.extrapounds.com/.

No comments: