08 May 2006

Good for the soul, bad for the body

I had a great weekend. Absolutely fantabulous.

Friday afternoon: it all started out with a 'friend' from work inviting me to hang with her gang to celebrate her birthday. Now this group of people have not really done much to make me feel welcome. They haven't done anything recently to make me feel unwelcome, but a few had in the past. And yet, because I'm friendly with the birthday girl, I decided I wanted to go and hang. And I had fun. The group was lovely to me and made me feel part of it all. I had to leave earlier than any of them, but that was okay. I'm happy that I went.

Friday evening: I met R. in Golders Green. We were going to friends for dinner. The guy has played cricket with R. and the girl is his fiance. We all get on quite well. We arrived, carrying some wine & cheese & crackers (always a welcome combo). And the binge commenced...lots of jambalaya, salad, cheese, crackers, pudding (desert) and wine up the wazzoo! It was a glorious gourmet feast. We left by taxi at around 1am. And happily passed out soon thereafter!

Saturday day: we did next to nothing. We made food (again) and just relaxed. We went food shopping to get even more food. And cleaned a bit. We ended up watching X-Men (1st one) as I want to go see the 3rd in the series and R. had never seen it. We weren't hungover either, which was amazing considering the bottles of wine that were consumed.

Saturday evening: It was Quiz Night at the club. R. was part of a team & I was one of the scorers. I helped along with two hockey/cricket players (female) and the daughter of the quiz master, Jim Carter (hubby to actress Imelda Stauton who stopped on by to say 'hi'). Another night of food and drink plus lots of social stuff. When Jim introduced the scoring table, he had to announce my engagement...which started all sorts of hoots. We left at a more normal time this evening and had a booze fueled sleep.

Sunday morning: I decided to make homemade pancakes...no mix or nuttin'! And they turned out okay. I was quite pleased and will do it again some time in the future. R. went off to his folks house and I was left to watch "Girl with a Pearl Earring". What a great afternoon...though it was marred with the fact that I had to do some work. Then R. returned to watch Arsenal kick some tush & make it to 4th place, thus guaranteeing a return to the Champions league. Woohoo. We also did a touch of cleaning (well, I did a lot) and R. cooked dinner for me. We finished the night watching Invasion & Lost. Once again, a lovely evening.

So - too much food and drink...but lots of relaxation & fun. And now...it's back to Monday.

No comments: