18 May 2006

Ewwww!

As you may recall, I typically love riding on buses and trains and the like. Typically. But today, my people watching came to an ugly conclusion. I got on the tube in West Hampstead as per usual, rushing to get a seat in the car up front...usually there aren't seats so if you see them, you rush to them! Ahhhh...comfort. It was especially lovely as I was wearing a pair of high heeled boots (it's cold here today...rainy and in the 50s/60s). And then I began my people watch. I've gotten quite good at being subtle about it. But today, there was no need for caution...the person I looked at first didn't seem to know that he was in a public space. Why do I think that? Well...he was picking his nose. At first, he started by rubbing the side of his nose, as if it was itchy. Not a problem, we all do that. And then the finger went in...not too far, but definitely in. And then he went to town. And played with the results. It was like a train wreck...I just couldn't look away. And just as we were reaching my stop, the finger went into the mouth.

As I gagged and left the carriage of the train, I wondered what it is about being on public transport that makes someone like that feel like he's in his own private world. Didn't he notice that there were people around. I mean, come on, I know a lot of people do pick their noses, but they do it in the privacy of their own homes...with no one else around. Ick. What are we teaching people these days?

No comments: