29 May 2006

The First Game

Yesterday we had our first cricket game. It was a decent day...it wasn't raining (which it has been for a while), there were bursts of sun and it wasn't uncomfortably cold. We seemed 'on' and excited about playing. I certainly was.

We started off fielding. I play in what is the equivalent to the outfield (if you only know baseball) in a position known as deep square leg. The reason I play here is that I have a good arm. I can usually make it to the wicket from the boundry in only a bounce or two. And on this game day I got a LOT of work. Our bowlers (pitchers) were giving them some lovely shots to hit in my direction. On the positive side, I was told that the other team didn't try to get an extra run cause they figured I'd run (throw) them out! After 25 overs (each over is 6 bowls), we took a break and it was then going to be our turn. They scored 149.

Next came our turn at batting. I was the second batter. While I did fine in the beginning, I made one big ol' mistake and got out. It was a great throw by the bowler. Still...ya never like getting out. We had a few good runs but didn't get to 150...we made it to our 25 overs and scored 107. Happy we got over 100 runs for our first game (the other team was more experienced)...but hope we can get even better!

No comments: