12 May 2006

FLR

It's official. I'm allowed to stay here and work for the next five years...unless, of course, I get fired or something like that. In which case I guess I'd have to get a spouse visa after marrying R. It's an interesting world, the one of the expat...we have to get visas to live elsewhere. Some people don't understand this. They think that if you live in the USA that you ought to be able to move whereever you want. Nope...you have to have something to offer to the country that they think is important enough to let you in and stay. A pain for all those Anglophiles!

So I went to the Home Office in Croydon yesterday (had a lovely 9am appointment)...it took two trains, a tube ride and some walking to get there...yup, left about 7:15 and got there around 8:30. But found the place.without too much difficulty. I was let in immediately (there was a line of people waiting for appointments after mine) and started the whole process. First you get in a line to check in. You need to have your application and all other paperwork with you or that's it...you are sent home. But I had everything. So then you are sent to pay for the visa. You get to pay the grand sum of £500. Glad that work is paying for this one (which reminds me I have to turn in the receipt!). Then off to meet with someone who will decide your fate. I had to wait about 1/2 hour until my number was called and then met with him for 1/2 hour. And I was approved! Then sent away for one hour or so while they do what they have to do to your passport. I returned and waited one more hour until I got my passport back. And then I was free.

So now I have my further leave to remain for 5 years. Woo hoo! I'm a Londoner!

No comments: