14 March 2007

Celebration time...come on!

Last night Roy and I (well, mainly me) were trying to pick out some special songs for our wedding. Neither of us are big music people. We don't go out and buy the latest cd or download tons of music onto i-Pods. It's amazing that I even own an MP3 player (but I refused to buy an i-Pod...I bought a Creative Zen instead).

But with the wedding coming up, I've had a renewed interest in music. What should play during the actual wedding? What should play during the cocktail portion? What would people want to dance to? Can I play some Bollywood or Banghra music?

So we've made a few decisions about music. We are NOT having the chicken dance, or electric slide, or anything cheesy like that. Okay....maybe the YMCA. But that's it. And I want a mix of 80s, oldies, swing and Indian music. It'll be interesting.

So we chose our entrance song for our bridal party & ourselves. 'Celebration' by Kool and the Gang. I thought it'd be a fun one. And I don't want anything 'special' for when we arrive. For the first dance, we chose a Frank Sinatra croon, 'Just in Time'. And for the dad-daughter dance, we're doing 'My Girl' by the Temptations. I don't think Roy wants to do a mother-son dance, but that's fine.

Right now I'm 'auditioning' songs to use during the ceremony. I want both Christian and Hindu songs...we'll see if anything fits or sounds right for it all...but I'm sure I'll find something. Right now I'm listening to a group of 3 cd's of (as they say on the cds) sublime chilled beats. The package is called Pujabi Lounge. Interesting!

I always love to hear what songs mean to different people...and when you listen to songs from your childhood or youth...what memories they do bring! I guess that's one of the fun things about weddings...not only are you celebrating a present, but also a past and a future.

1 comment:

who? said...

Hi,

I just stumbled across your blog. I like your musings, and the kind of person you appear to be :)

Anyway, just wanted to write a note since this line struck me: "I guess that's one of the fun things about weddings...not only are you celebrating a present, but also a past and a future."

Never thought about it but I guess it's true...

Wishing you lots of happiness and laughter in your new advenure,

Juhi

P.S. I'm an Indian btw :p