15 March 2007

A vision in gold and red

I got home yesterday and relaxed for a bit. I needed the get myself into a place where I felt calm and happy. Why? I was heading to Roy's parents' house on my own.

I walked the one mile to the house and was greeted by his mom. We sat down, had some tea and just chatted a bit. Then she asked me to come up to her room and see the saris that I could choose from to wear the Sunday after the wedding (we're having a brunch in our honour).

Up we went to a room strewn with colourful outfits. There were two saris waiting for me to look out. Both had tons of gold threadwork and red; one with a larger pattern, one with something much smaller. I checked out them both in the mirror, holding up the fabric to my neck. Stunning.

We both agreed that as I could get away with the larger pattern, being a decently tallish person. So she left me as I put on the choli (top) and petticoat (which doesn't really fit, so I'll have to get a new one). I put them on and she returned to help me put on the sari, which is definitely an art.

Round and round the fabric went, folding into the petticoat. Then next came the pattern of folds, like a delicate fan, which too were tucked in, and gave an effect of gorgeous pleats to the floor. Around again and then up and over my shoulder and arm. And then it was done.

I was in a sari. And I looked so glamourous. Stunning. Gold, red, small slices of blue and yellow. I had never seen anything quite like it.

And then I was given a 22 kt gold necklace and earring to put on, a gift from my future mother-in-law to wear with the sari. And it just made the outfit, 'pop' just a little bit more.

It was a bit sad taking the sari off, as it was one of the most beautiful outfits I had ever worn before. It's definitely inspired me to want to buy one that I could wear somewhere else - maybe even to work one day.

I then hung out with my future in-laws until R. showed up, 1/2 hour late due to the train. I survived my first time alone with them. It was tough, but I think it was okay. I even talked quite a bit, which, as a trained listener, can sometimes be a struggle.

I can't wait for my wedding days to arrive...

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Dang! where is the camera when you need it. I would have loved to see pictures!

Congrats on surviving the parents, I know that is hard!

Lindy said...

I agree, where are the pics! Well you'll just have to take tons at the wedding. Soo happy that you and the in-laws are getting along. You really are lucky. Mine still don't want anything to do w/ me and haven't met Squidge yet. Makes me sad, so enjoy them and appreciate that they are making the effort. Sorry, I'm getting all emotional on here.