07 March 2007

Modern Art

I entered into the room and was shown where to find the bibs which would protect my clothing. I had changed from my work outfit into jeans and a teeshirt so it didn't matter too much...but why not.

There was lovely soft music in the background.

I greeted the people I knew and looked forward to learning something new.

The teacher started off with a greeting and then showed us slides of modern art. We were asked to say what emotion or direction the art piece seemed to show. We had differing impressions and yet that was okay.

We were then given our materials. Those who had taken the class the first semester were given materials to cut out and glue sticks. We newbies were given charcoal, inks and a few other drawing items. And then we were given words. Returners were meant to portray movement. We were given an emotion.

How to show 'introspection' without using a face? What would convey someone looking inward?

I decided to start with a small circle near the bottom of the page. And then everything around it were swirls moving around and in toward the circle. The swirls took up most of the page. I used charcoal. Then outside the swirling mass, I placed hard, staccato marks. Sharp v's pointing toward the swirl and small circle. It was then time to use colour. The center of the small circle was green. The swirls were touched with blue. The sharp marks were a purplish-pink. To me it showed a peaceful sense in the middle, someone turning away from the cacophony of the outside world.

All the while, music was playing in the background. It was relaxing after a hard day.

We were then asked to look at each other's drawings and paper works. What was the emotion portrayed? What was the movement?

Most people didn't get mine...but once explained, it made sense. And that's how I feel about most modern works. I just don't get them. But sometimes, when explained, it does make sense. Even if I don't like them. Still.

Our next project was to draw 4 panels, showing our reaction to sound & music. It was difficult. More so than the first project. Four different songs, four different drawings. Interesting to see what the others had done.

And then class was over. But we'll return again next week. I wonder what our tasks will be. What I can learn. And if I'll feel the same sense of leaving the stress of the world behind again.

No comments: