14 November 2006

Remember forever

Last night my school showed United 93. It is about the flight on 9-11 that never made it to its target, unlike the other 4. We had two people from the 9-11 commission there to introduce the film and talk a bit about their work (one is the parent of a kid here).

The film was amazingly moving. The hard part is that you know the ending. You know these people are going to die. And the actors did a great job - they kept in character and didn't show any hint of knowledge about the end. Especially with having a fiance now, I could just imagine myself in the plane making that phone call. I had tears in my eyes just imagining saying "I love you. Goodbye." Unreal.

The thing about being my age is that I'll forever remember that day. I was at a school in Alexandria, VA, just a few miles from the Pentagon. The school had television in each classroom and during off periods, kids would watch the news or something else. And once we heard about the twin towers, I left the building to see if I could find Administration. And then I heard it. The plane hitting the Pentagon. And the jets taking off from the nearby airfield. It was awesome and overwhelming. My boyfriend at the time was working in the Pentagon so being a calm and cool counselor for kids who had family in all locations was tough. I remember the smell of smoke for days. The startle when you heard a plane overhead. The lock-down of the area.

Watching that movie brought it all back. And I have to tell you that when R. and I saw each other later in the evening (he had football)...I've never hugged another human being that tightly. It would hurt so badly if I lost him. And his importance in my life was brought to the forefront. To heck with the wedding...I just want to be with him forever!

So a shout out to everyone. Remember to tell the people that you love that you care about them. If you have a fight, don't let those be the last words. Give someone a hug.

No comments: