29 August 2007

And lift-off!

I survived the storm...otherwise known as the first day of school. Everyone take a deep breathe!

On this day, we start out with a meeting of the entire high school in our gym (cause our theatre is being worked on). This went on from 8:05 to 8:30...then we went on to grade meetings. I joined the freshmen as I have some programming I do with them and had to explain it. I also get my face out there and kids tend to find me to ask me questions and eventually to talk about issues. Already I think I've found a few kids who will be in my office a LOT. But that's what I'm here for and I look forward to this year's challenges.

This meeting went on for another 45 minutes or so. Then classes began. We were going through all eight periods, twenty minutes at a shot. Our normal class day consists of four periods of 80 minutes. Yes, LONG classes.

Then we had the athletics meeting with the kids followed by sign-up for autumn sports (I coach field hockey). And the final meeting of the day - coaches' meeting. By that point we were all fried and not up for it...but we took it decently well with a few snide remarks said quietly. Yes, we are worse than the kids. Much.

I was dead at the end of the day. Went home, put up my tired footsies and ate my dinner. Roy had a football match, so I was alone to process how the day went. And overall, it had been a good one. Busy as all else with organizing things and getting ready for today and tomorrow...but good.

Today I teach one of the two sections of Intro to Psych. I have a well planned afternoon. And we'll have our first field hockey try-out. It's the beginning of really long days...arriving around 7:50 a.m. and leaving around 6-something or later p.m. But it's totally worth it and I have had a long break leading up to this. I'm ready.

No comments: