10 August 2007

The good, the bad, the indifferent...

Yesterday, I stood in a queue for over an hour, (free) ticket in hand, to go and be part of the live audience of Loose Women. I was very excited about this, cause I had been watching the show during my summer break and really wanted to see it. But I got to near the front of the line and heard the words, "Sorry folks, but there are no more spaces available". And this is where I got a bit angry. They were able to count how many people were around earlier. I mean, they actually did the counting. So why, why, did they make me stand there for the extra half-hour just to let me know that I wouldn't make it in...oh, and next time I could get a special ticket that would guarantee my entry. Too bad I'll no longer be on vacation and able to go. BUGGER! So I wasted one of my last mornings on vacation. Sigh.

So I came home and did a complete stress/anger reliever and baked some bread (an attempt at naan). The naan wasn't exactly like what you'd get in a restaurant, more like a chipati, thinnish and crispy. But still tasty. I'm going to try a new recipe out this weekend and see if it's a bit better. Either way, I get something yummy in the end. In addition, I made my first attempt at dhal. This is a lentil, a staple in the Indian diet. And I'm trying to learn some foods that are part of that culture, so I can pass them on (if I have kids). And it wasn't half bad. A few things to change, but I got the basics pretty darn close. So I was happy about that. Cooking and baking seem to have that effect on me.

Today is the beginning of the end...I'm going to be heading back to the school to do some work. Yes, work. It's what most people don't realise about being a teacher. While, yes, you do get a lot of vacation, during half of it, you tend to actually have to do work. And we work on weekends. And nights. So it's not all fun and giggles. But I have to admit that I've had a great few weeks of relaxation, even with having to doing a lot of things around the house. I'm sad that it's coming to an end. But I know it's time to get back to work. (That's why the above situation was more annoying).

No comments: