24 February 2006

And so Mary said...

"Hey Mary, y'allright?"
"Doin' well thank you"
"I need more gel over here!"
"Bridgie...you're looking tired. How's the baby treatin' ya?"
"Ohhh...she keeps me up all night long. You know how they are."
"Say hi to Matt when you see him next"
"Okay...whose colour is this? It's not mine and it's just sittin' here."
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrwhoooshhh

When I first moved to London I was concerned about finding a good place to get my hair done. I have curly hair which, as you might know, is easy to take care of more often than not, but tough to get a good cut. I also colour my hair and some people just don't get it. So I did a major search for a place. I started out a this fancy (and mighty expensive) salon on an exclusive high street. While the guys were lovely they just didn't want to do what I wanted them to do. They knew what was best. And then one of them started to hit on me (yes, the boys over here who cut hair are straight quite often!). So I left. Then I tried a few more places. All still quite expensive and not quite right. I just didn't like the 'feeling' of the place. Then a hockey mate with curly locks told me about a salon that she travels to even though she's moved quite a distance away. And they are inexpensive. So I tried it. And I love it! The woman who cuts my hair has curls and so she understands the way they work. And if I want to try something new with my colour (like the red highlights of yesterday), she listens and makes suggestions but ultimately lets me make up my mind. And it's VERY inexpensive. But what makes it even better - it's a place where people have been going for years. It's like a small family. People come in to talk about their challenges and their successes. They know each other's names. It's like the Cheers of hairdressing. A small town place in the big city of London. And I like it.
"Hailey - this is a shout out to you! Keep my hair lookin' good babe! And your kids are so cute!"

No comments: