21 February 2006

Oh so bad

It creeps up on you. It's very quiet and usually doesn't come blaring out at you. But it's there. And the funny thing is that you want it to happen when you are younger, but as you get older you pray that it stops. Yup. Age.

I do have to admit that I am lucky. I look 'good' for my age. I have hardly a wrinkle, my very grey hair is easily coverable and I am still able to play sports. But little things have been creeping in as of late as well as small reminders in the news and all. That small wrinkle at the corner of my eye that doesn't 'shrink' when I put my eye cream on it...like it used to. The grey hairs not only popping out in numbers I can pluck but in numbers that others can see. And most of all...feeling it more in my legs as I try to play field hockey goalie for a really good British team. I used to be able to throw myself around without a doubt. I could stretch to make saves without a twinge. But last night I tried that and failed. I hurt. And not in the muscles are growing 'good' way. It's time to take stock - I am playing with 20-somethings and I need to stretch more, warm up more than any of them. And I sometimes forget. But those little things bring me back to the reality that I am not 27...I'm 37. Sigh. I don't want to stay young and I don't begrudge the wrinkles or grey hair...but I'd love to be able to play my favorite sport without pain. But I don't think it'll happen any longer. And perhaps, in the not so distant future, I'll have to step down from my team, admitting I am getting too old to play at that level.

Getting older...why did we want it so badly?

No comments: