03 February 2006

Gettin' old...

TGIF! I have no plans for tonight and yet I'm still so excited about it being the end of the week. Of course I have emailed over a dozen people in hopes of interesting them in grabbing an after work drink at the North London Tavern (it rocks) but still...it's just freakin' Friday! And even more exciting...I have one more week of work before I go on vacation. And am I doing anything during vacation that I should be so psyched about? No...in fact I'm doing the horrid thing of taking my driving test. For those of you not in the know, taking a driving test in England is paramount to rippping the scab off your knee...it's painful and you don't really want to do it...people fail multiple times. The pass rate at the place I'm taking it is something like 35%. Crazy. I've been driving a manual transmission car for almost 20 years and yet I probably will still fail cause I didn't look at the mirrors enough or something silly like that. But I want to be able to drive here so I have to do it. And I even am paying someone a huge amount of money to give me helpful hints...so that's my one week break - driving lessons and a test...something I thought I wouldn't have to do again after age 16!

Hockey of course this Saturday, which will be fun. We're doing a friendly game with another team in our club and hoping to kick some tushy in the process. I just don't want us to lose. I hate losing. Plus, yeah know, the beers go down smoother later on if you win.

Sunday will be a big ol' day of baking. I am a cook. I do not bake usually. I think it's my hatred of precision in baking that does it. I like to throw things in willy-nilly if I can. This is not possible in baking (or it isn't if you want it to taste good or look decent). But the call went out from our department that we need it for morning tea and so I'll do my best. I'm thinking a few dozen blueberry muffins, a slow-cooker (love it) apple crumble and a coffee cake. I will be the hit of work...I will be worshipped. Yeah right...I'll be happy if they don't burn!

So...here's to a relaxing weekend. I know. Boring. But that's what happens when you hit your mid to late 30s...you begin to like being a bit more of a homebody...unless you can oonvince a teammate to go out for beers tonights!

No comments: