02 February 2006

The big picture

I was walking down the street toward the train to get into work this morning. At the local bus stop I noticed the shoes of a woman who was sitting and waiting in the cold. Her shoes were what stood out. I kept my eyes on them as I got closer and closer. As I passed, I looked down and saw that they had a pattern of an orange, yellow & brown butterfly on a white background. But what had captured my attention from afar was that she looked like she had barfed all over her white shoes just a moment ago. It made me think about what we miss when we look at things too closely. Focusing on the fine details may be great and we may see quite a lot, but sometimes it might be in our best interest to step back and look at the big picture. We may find that the situation is not as pretty as we first thought.

No comments: