20 October 2006

Baby cakes...

Today I began the topic of development in my psychology class. I love to talk about pregnancy as most kids really don't know what goes on in there. I showed a film that had pictures from within the womb and then we talked about what develops on the body & when. It's facinating at what our cells are able to do in such a short period of time. Humans are amazing!

When my mom was preggers, she was so excited. She couldn't believe that a life would be coming out of her body. And she almost got me as a Christmas gift. I decided to hang on though and arrive the following day. I gave the first hint of my coming at around 4am. She ended up at the hospital at 8:30am. There she stayed for a while...contractions and all. And then it got close to time. But something went wrong. She had a contraction that held. One that lasted at least 15 minutes - they don't know as they weren't keeping an eye on it. But it meant that I was not getting the oxygen that I needed.

When I was born at around 10pm, I was given the Apgar test. My score was a 1. It is not good at all! The first time my dad saw me, I was in a nurse's arms being run to the neonatal unit...he said I looked like a blue coloured rag doll...nothing was working in me hardly at all.

The worst part for my parents is that he had to wait for a full year to see if this had taken any effect...would I end up being brain damaged in any way? Well...it seems as if it didn't have any major effect, though I'm sure my lack of ability in languages and short term memory issues might have something to do with it. But irregardless I turned out okay. I went from almost lifeless to a very happy baby to a decently okay adult.

R. & I have talked about trying to have kids. At my age, it kinda scares me. Will I have the energy? Will I actually be able to have a child? Could I handle a baby with mental or physical issues? I think whatever happens, we'll deal.

No comments: