24 October 2006

Mehndi

If you've been reading my blog, you'll remember that I'm having a mixed religion ceremony...Hindu and Christian. In addition, I'll be celebrating both South Asian and American/UK traditions during the wedding/reception. One such tradition in South Asia is something called mehndi. Mehndi is a 'temporary tattoo' of sorts. You apply henna to the skin, allow it to dry and then keep away from water for a while. You can have all sorts of patterns and colours, though traditionally the colours are a reddish brown to black.

Most South Asian brides have a mehndi ceremony before their wedding, where you get very cool designs on your hands and feet. More likely than not, I'll just have something more simple, as I'll have a friend work with me (she's an artist). I, too, am learning how to do this so that I can apply designs to my bridal party. So...I tried it this past weekend. Nothing too complicated but here's an example of what I did on my left hand:
It's nothing much but I was just curious about what a pre-made cone would do. I think I'd rather mix my own henna and work from there...plus as I'm not doing a ton of designs, I'll use a bottle with a metal tip instead of the bag.

I also put a pattern on my foot though the pic didn't come out well. I've done a lot of reading and found some cool stuff. Here's one pic of mehndi that I really like:

In this pic, the henna is still drying so you don't get to see the darkness of it...but I really like the patterns and would love something like it.

For my bridesmaids, I'll probably take aspects of this and use them to have something a touch more simple (it takes a load of time to do!).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is so great looking. i love looking at skin art- tatoos, mehndi, body airbrush etc. I hope you find the perfect pattern for you.

UKYankee said...

Believe me...I'm doing tons of research! R. doesn't want me to get another tattoo (I have one and respect his dislike of them) so this is my way of having something temporary!