25 October 2006

Memories

So. What is your first memory as a child? The thing that comes to my mind is quite interesting. I grew up on a boarding school campus. We were living in the second floor of a big ol' Victorian house that was across the street from the rest of the campus. It was next to the gym, which was great as I could run around in there and make lots of noise on the wooden floors (remember those days?).

My first memory is one on the campus. It was a cool morning. I was in my favorite feety pajamas and we were heading to breakfast in the cafeteria (we all got free food which my mom LOVED). I remember being able to fit between the metal rungs in one area of the fencing...someone has pulled them apart a bit. I must have been 3 or 4 at the time. And the ground was crunchy and I had freedom to run across the field to the caf. My mom didn't have to worry about anyone snatching me or me getting hurt...there were always people around.

It's such a happy memory. I was a lucky child - my early life was very easy and was full of people who hugged me a lot. From around 4 to 7, I lived in a new place, a boy's dorm. And the boys thought I was cool. It gave them the opportunity to be sweet - they could hold a little girl on their lap and make faces...cause, ya know, it's only a little kid. And in those days, no one would worry about pediphaelia. It allowed a little girl to have a bunch of big brothers and a bunch of boys to be able to show a soft side...one they rarely were able to show without getting made fun of by the others.

Yup - I was lucky.

No comments: