16 October 2006

The Visit

What does it mean to be a woman? What does it mean to be a man? Could I be detected if I wanted to live life as a man?

Today and tomorrow, Norah Vincent is visiting my classroom to talk about her experiences as a 'man' for one year. I find this facinating and hope that my classes do as well. It'll be a good feed into the chapter on developmental psychology which I've now chosen to do after this (instead of my usual sensation & perception topic).

It's an interesting topic. One that has been argued for centuries...our differences, our similarities. And even more so, how we deal with these. I know that it's been easier to be a therapist and a woman...it's so much more expected. But to get a job as a counselor in a school, you have an advantage if you are a man.

And then there's whether it's better to be a man or woman. R. and I have this argument all the time. Personally, I kinda like being a woman a lot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. What an interesting class! I wish I could attend, I've always had an interest in things like that. Good read on the topic: "She's Not There" by Jennifer Finney Boylan (who was once named James Boylan).

Actually, I came here with an agenda. Saw you over in Fish's blog, and I'm planning on moving from the states to London within the next three years. Do you have tips, advice, etc? Is it hard to gain citizenship? Are there websites you'd recommend? How did *you* do it? I'd love to hear your story.

You can email me at marasame at hotmail dot com, if you like. I'd really appreciate anything you have to offer. I'm so worried that I won't realize my dream of living in London just due to the fact that I'm clueless as to how to go about it the "right" way!

UKYankee said...

Thanks for the comment!

I'll send you an email, but anyone who is interested should check out the UK-Yankee website...http://talk.uk-yankee.com/

It rocks! And even if you are only visiting the UK there are great points on there!