29 October 2006

Great day!

It's 4:30am in England. I don't know why I'm awake, but I am. So I thought I'd share what a fantastic day it was...

I got a great night's sleep. We were in bed by 11:00pm and I slept almost non-stop until 9am. Which was a good thing after the lack of sleep the night before. Having a very drunk fiance on Thursday night was not helpful...especially as he was throwing up at 3:30am. But last night...mmmmm. Gooooood!

Good news number two...I have been attempting to become a qualified England field hockey umpire this year. I took the written assessment last year (it was darn hard) and have been umpiring games since. At 11:30am, I was assessed during a game. And it was a tough game. Umpiring men's games, particularly at men's 3 level, is quite tough - they give you much stick if they think you made a poor call. But according to the 'assessor', I was quietly confident in my game calling. The best news of all is that I was asssessed to be a higher level than the normal introductory level (1D) and given a rating of 1B, which means I can umpire any game that my club plays this year! Woo hoo. It's quite an honour (and yes, I'm bragging!).

Good news three...I played for the Ladies' One team. Usually I play for the Ladies' Twos. And ya know what? I didn't give up a goal (I'm a goalie). And I made some great saves. At 37, I played at a very high level of hockey!!! Yeah, me!

Good news four...R. and I celebrated our two year anniversary. We went to a cool restaurant, Rodizio Rico. And while we could have stuffed ourselves, we were actually quite restrained. Yes, we were full at the end of the evening...but not crazy full. It was fun and a great ending to a wonderful day!

No comments: